Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Dancin' The Slow Dance


Dancin’ The Slow Dance!
January 11, 2005

They came down the aisle,
Side by side,
Arm in arm.
Left foot right foot,
Forward together,
They’re dancin’ the slow dance now.

Not for them intricate steps of a Tango, Rumba or Waltz,
No Boogie Woogie, Charleston, or Cha Cha Cha
He doesn’t sweep her around the floor or dip her way back,
But they still move together,
Slow dancin’ to the music of life

You can tell theirs has been a long dance
The way they move together
A joy to watch for those who see.
(Most don’t see them).
Just an old couple moving slowly through the store

But there is rare beauty in their movement
Side by side,
Arm in arm,
Left feet forward.
Right feet forward
They’re slow dancin’ the last dance together.


I love this poem.  It wrote itself.  I was sitting out at West HyVee having a cup of Starbuck's coffee and noticed this couple walking down the aisle.  They were tall and thin and elegant  
with thinning white hair they were obviously devoted to one another and it just looked like they were dancing.  I wish I knew who they were so I could share it with them,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This still touches my heart and is one of my favorites, Jay.