Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Work

For today's prompt, I want you to write a work-related poem. Work doesn't have to be the main feature of the poem, but I want you to "work" it in somehow. And remember: There are different types of work. Of course, there are the activities that gain you fortune and fame (or not), but then, there's also housework, exercise, volunteering, etc. I'm sure you'll "work" it out.

“What do you do?”
Someone always asks me that.
I tell them “Nothing, I am retired.”
(Actually I am just tired)
Then they want to know what I did.
Well I did lots of things; I traveled, I went on vacation
But I understand that what they want is to know how I made my living.

“Well,” I said, “I was a teacher.,
an elementary teacher.”

Immediately I am hear;
“Oh, wow, you are brave.”
“Congratulations.”
“Thank you.”

What they don’t know is that I should be thanking them
for sharing their kids with me.
You see I don’t have any of my own.
But over the years I have had hundreds of them

I was a tough teacher, because I wanted my “kids” prepared to do their best
“The Middle School is a snap once you’ve had Simser.” said one boy.
That was a high compliment
(Though he might not have meant it that way.)
That told me I was doing my job, my work.
But it really wasn’t work - It was a joy.
I will always be grateful that I was allowed to be a teacher.
My work.

1 comment:

Nessa said...

Nice. People remember the teachers who make them think with fondness.