Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Street Not Taken

For today's prompt, I want you to take the title of a poem you especially like (by another poet) and change it. Then, with this new altered title, I want you to write a poem. An example would be to take William Carlos Williams' "The Red Wheelbarrow" and change it to "The Red Volkswagon." Or take Frank O'Hara's "Why I Am Not a Painter" and change it to "Why I Am Not a Penguin." You get the idea, right? (Note: Your altered poem does NOT have to follow the same style as the original poet, though you can try if you wish.)


The Street Not Taken

Two streets, which I could travel down
I can’t choose which way to go
On my face there is a frown
I imagine myself a clown
Maybe I’ll just go to a movie show.

What is playing on the movie screan
Is it in the paper the movies to see
Gee, to most of them I’ve already been
I have even see The Color Green
Oh, I can’t go I have only dollars three.

So now I’m back and a street I’ have to choose
That one has stores places to shop galore
What the heck do I have to lose
Perhaps I could go and look for my muse
I just have to go there and open the right door

But the other street is tree lined and green
Peaceful, tranquil, a place of peace
A quiet spot where strife is not seen
A place for resting with plenty of space
I took that street with style and grace

1 comment:

Nessa said...

Very nice. I like the transition in it.